On Tuesday we did a creative writing exercise on Twitter. The brief was simple – create a NPC with an adventure hook with just 140 characters.
Thank you everyone who took part. I found it useful exercise in editing and getting to the kernel of an idea. I hope it was useful for you as it was for me.
I will being doing another #Twitterville (or similar) next Tuesday but until then, here are all the NPCs.
- Olaf, blacksmith on Ferry Lane, never buys coal but the forge is always hot. Marks on his anvil might be occult symbols – 6d6Fireball.
- Nikki, a street urchin who picks pockets of strangers by tweeting like a rare type of bird on odd seasons as a distractio – questinggm.
- Redman, the owner of the Broken Sword tavern, has six fingers on left hand. The extra finger is non-human and scaly – 6d6Fireball.
- Zavinna, Redman’s barmaid. No one knows where she comes from and those who have entered her bed will never be able to tell – questinggm.
- Irene, local gardener, complains that someone has been stealing penny royal, lavender and wolfs bane. Other herbs untouched – coffeechit.
- Tom Spearhaft, known as the only honest man in the watch, has been seen around town with a woman and spending lots of cash – 6d6Fireball.
- Scorchia, town healer and herbalist is just a regular old hag. Rumors spreads around town that she eats children and wears … – questinggm
- Rumor has it there is a rain barrel in the back of the tavern that can transport one to an island floating with the stars – frdarvin.
- Hepus, the half-crazed fisherman, swears he just saw a whale being carried out of the water by a flock of orange birds – frdarvin (who should wins the Self-Referential Humor Award for getting a Twitter reference into #Twitterville)
- It was a dark and stormy night as the twins Tomb & Domb carried the head of the Platinum Dragon, Bahamut, into the monastery – RickKrebs (who wins the Edward Bulwer-Lytton Memorial Cup)
- Isrisu – obessed with elves, follows them around. Has visions. Who knows what she’ll see if seduced by gorgeous male elf? – chgowiz
- Foul O’Ron, an old beggar who frequents adventure’s taverns. Very high spot role to see something golden around his neck – 6d6Fireball.
- MacGregor, shop owner; why does he always have exactly what you need? Even if you don’t know that at first – Lunatyk
- Hiendson, once a leading guild member but now a drunk telling stories of evil & chaos at the highest level. Are they true? – 6d6Fireball
- Halen, the village’s dummy, make fun of him as he says random things… ignore his words at your own peril… – Lunatyk
- Alek is a bard who tells tales of great adventures in his past, a lost kingdom, and great treasures; too bad no one believes – allgeektout.